“Turtles need rescuing?” “Yes, unfortunately,” is always the answer.
Just like any other captive animal, humans have an incredible ability to mistreat them. Turtles and tortoises are not ‘throw away’ pets. Northwest Tortoise invests extensive time vetting potential owners. If you are looking for a quick transaction and expect to fill out a form and get immediate approval its recommend you look elsewhere.
If you’ve done your research and you are ready for a shelled pet for life apply here!
A note on determining age: Unless there is a hatch date for a turtle/tortoise there is no reliable way to determine age. Age cannot be reliably determined by size, rings on the shell, damage on the shell or any other speculative methods. The following ages are an educated guess based on information from the previous owner and 25 years of experience working with turtles/tortoises.
- Alice 3-Toed Box Turtle Female, 1# 9oz., 26 years confirmed. Alice came from the pet industry and was fed all the wrong foods for years. She’s got the classic malnutrition signs. She is NOT a candidate for breeding. Alice has old injuries on the front of her shell and was treated for nasty shell rot. She’s an active box turtle and loves to be outside hunting. Beaks and nails will be trimmed prior to adoption. $50 adoption fee
- Brandi 3-Toed Box Turtle Female, 12oz, young adult, Brandi came from the pet trade and a bulling situation. She gets the award for world’s shyest box turtle. I’ve had her almost three years and she’s still not comfortable interacting with humans or other turtles. It took 35 minutes, ten feet away, to get the photo. $50 adoption fee
- Cora Eastern Box Turtle Female, 1# 6oz., Unknown age. Cora is a bold, confident gal and has old injuries on the front and back edge of her shell. Most likely caused by a dog chew. The bone is showing and the Keratin will cover it in time. She’s an active box turtle and loves to be outside hunting. Beaks and nails will be trimmed prior to adoption. Adoption fee $100
- Karl Eastern Box turtle Male, 1 lb., Karl is a beautiful boy when he’s not covered in dirt! Shell still healing in places from a dog attack. He’s missing some toes but it doesn’t affect his behavior. He’s active and ready for a new home. Beaks and nails will be trimmed prior to adoption. $50 adoption fee
- Timone Ornate Box Turtle Male, 12 oz., young adult. Timone comes from the glass-box method and his condition shows it. Timone is an active boy that loves being in outdoor pens. Eats and hunts like a champ. His burns on his head/face have healed but his beak will need continual work. Timone requires an experienced keeper with a qualified reptile vet (references will be checked). $50 adoption fee