“Turtles need rescuing?” “Yes, unfortunately,” is always the answer.
Just like any other captive animal, humans have an incredible ability to mistreat them. Turtles and tortoises are not ‘throw away’ pets. Northwest Tortoise invests extensive time vetting potential owners. If you are looking for a quick transaction and expect to fill out a form and get immediate approval its recommend you look elsewhere.
If you’ve done your research and you are ready for a shelled pet for life apply here!
A note on determining age: Unless there is a hatch date for a turtle/tortoise there is no reliable way to determine age. Age cannot be reliably determined by size, rings on the shell, damage on the shell or any other speculative methods. The following ages are an educated guess based on information from the previous owner and 25 years of experience working with turtles/tortoises.
- Alice 3-Toed Box Turtle Female, 1# 9oz., 26 years confirmed. Alice came from the pet industry and was fed all the wrong foods for years. She’s got the classic malnutrition signs. She is NOT a candidate for breeding. Alice has old injuries on the front of her shell and was treated for nasty shell rot. She’s an active box turtle and loves to be outside hunting. Beaks and nails will be trimmed prior to adoption. $50 adoption fee
- Beaker Russian Tortoise Male, 1 lb., unknown age. Beaker is another wild-caught pet store nightmare. Beaker came in with a horribly overgrown beak. He’ll need a vet or experienced person (references will be checked) to continue to work on his beak. He’s a social guy and will make a nice pet. $50 adoption fee
- Brandi 3-Toed Box Turtle Female, 12oz, young adult, Brandi came from the pet trade and a bulling situation. She gets the award for world’s shyest box turtle. I’ve had her almost three years and she’s still not comfortable interacting with humans or other turtles. It took 35 minutes, ten feet away, to get the photo. $50 adoption fee
- Casanova (special needs SERIOUS INQUIRES ONLY) Redfoot tortoise Male, 10 pounds, 25 years confirmed. Casanova is an over-sexed tortoise. He CANNOT be used for breeding, around females or around any other tortoises. If he smells another tortoise he’ll prolapse. He’s severely prolapsed so many times (and standard treatment is temporary) the next time it happens, it will require a vet to amputate. The potential adopter will have to demonstrate they have an established reptile vet and $1,000 available if he […]
- Karl Eastern Box turtle Male, 1 lb., Karl is a beautiful boy when he’s not covered in dirt! Shell still healing in places from a dog attack. He’s missing some toes but it doesn’t affect his behavior. He’s active and ready for a new home. Beaks and nails will be trimmed prior to adoption. $50 adoption fee
- Sheldini Russian Tortoise Male, 14 oz., unknown age. Sheldini is one of the many Russians that have escaped their enclosures or was dumped. No owner was found. Sheldini has damage to the keratin on both top and bottom shell and bone is exposed. He’s mending well. Sheldini is a nice, social tortoise and loves being outside. $50 adoption fee
- Timone Ornate Box Turtle Male, 12 oz., young adult. Timone comes from the glass-box method and his condition shows it. Timone is an active boy that loves being in outdoor pens. Eats and hunts like a champ. His burns on his head/face have healed but his beak will need continual work. Timone requires an experienced keeper with a qualified reptile vet (references will be checked). $50 adoption fee
- Tootsie Russian tortoise Female, 3 lb., unknown age. Tootsie is a survivor and ready for a new home. She has shell damage/curling all sides and back of shell. She spent years digging at her previous enclosure and deserves a spacious indoor and outdoor enclosure. She’s not a breeding candidate. Beaks and nails will be trimmed prior to adoption. $50 adoption fee