2. What species of tortoise do you want?
- Do you want a small, medium or large tortoise?
- 1 pound up to 150 pounds
- Do you want a basking or non-basking tortoise?
- Does your climate closely match the climate of the origins of the species of tortoise you want? Learn more here.
- If not, are you willing to create artificial climates for the tortoise?
- Are you willing to feed vegetarian and/or animal protein and possibly live food? Or a combination of all three?
3. Do you have enough space both indoors and outdoors?
- You must have indoor as-well-as outdoor space (review minimum size requirements here)
- Indoor tortoise tables/enclosures must be located away from drafts, off the floor and in a well lit/air circulated area
- Garages are NOT an accepted area
- Outdoor space MUST be predator-proof, escape (dig/climb) proof, free of hazardous materials and/or poisonous plants
- Standard fenced yards are NOT an acceptable area
- Any type of wire fencing is NOT acceptable
4. Do you have the time to invest in a long-lived tortoise?
- Will you commit to caring for the life of the tortoise?
- Will you give the tortoise daily attention, activity, and enrich his/her life?
- Are you willing to continue learning about the species of tortoise you chose?
- Are you willing to feed a fresh, varied diet?
- Will you have an exit plan in case circumstances require giving up the tortoise?
- Will you have a tortoise or instructions regarding who will take the tortoise upon death?
- Will you provide financially for the tortoise?
5. Can you create a budget for an exotic pet?
- Do you have the budget to create both indoor and outdoor enclosures?
- Do you have the budget to upgrade/change/enhance the enclosures periodically?
- Do you have the budget to pay for unexpected vet visits and examinations
- Do you have the budget to purchase equipment and supplies as needed?
- Do you have the budget to purchase food when fresh is not available?